Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing Challenge - Round 2: Results
Ok peeps.

Post your stuff using the words "Dark Road" and "Tired". Lets see what you came up with.

Shelz - you gonna provide the words for the challenge next week? Shoot em to me some time before next Monday.
It had been a long day. First visiting the Cango caves. The heat was suffocating but the caves were beautiful. After lunch we headed to the Crocodile farm. The child crying because she wanted a baby crocodile of her own was amusing. She carried on until her parents bought her a toy croc which she hugged tightly. Finally tired and hungry we headed to the motel room we had booked for the night. Arriving at the reception desk we discovered that the room we had booked were no longer available. Anger drove us back to the car. The dark road ahead was daunting. Five hours of continues driving after an exhausting day of sightseeing began to take its toll. A light flashing on the side of the road caused the car to stop. What it was that made the light flash, we'll never know, but it did a good job of waking us up.
Oh no - micro sleeps can kill. Maybe the flashing light was the locals setting fire to some trucks ;-)

Thanks for the entry Bel. You made me google again. The Cango caves look excellent. Were they good?
(05-07-2018, 08:03 AM)Duff Moss Wrote: Oh no - micro sleeps can kill. Maybe the flashing light was the locals setting fire to some trucks ;-)

Thanks for the entry Bel. You made me google again. The Cango caves look excellent. Were they good?

They were a grand sight back in '92. Haven't been there since. Ps. The kid that was crying... Bel clears her throat and whispers.. Mine!
Ok - here's mine

“I don’t know mate...it’s just not something I had ever thought about doing. It just seems so wrong on so many levels. I’ve heard bloody horror stories mate. Things that make my blood curdle. Now I’m a pretty tough dude generally, but this just terrifies me. The idea of it just shakes me to the core. For weeks she has told me that I don’t even have a choice - that this is my goddam lot and I just have to do it, come what may. It’s not bloody fair. I have lost so much sleep. I am barraged by endless demons whispering in my ear. I feel my resolve waning. I am so tired. How can I prevent the apparent inevitable?”

“Ahhh bloke...that sure is shit. Just don’t do it dickhead. Run off or sumtin’. That’s what I’d do”

“Mate - I wish I could. I have too many responsibilities. It has been too many decades since I could call my life my own. My life is an accumulation of the choices I have made, for better or worse, and I can’t now just shed all that to suit my own weakness...and I am weak. I have battled for too long. I can feel the towers of torment raise around me and sitting upon those towers are many eyes - all peering into my soul to make judgement on my lack of resolve. I have made promises to them. Promises that I would take this long dark road to its ultimate gruesome end”

“Ahhh fuck off mate. Just tell ‘em all to go shove it up their arse. Your life shithead. Tell ‘em to shove their ugly mugs up their wart covered arses”

“How can I? It’s just too damn important. What I want doesn’t matter. I’m going to do it. That’s it. I’m going to do it and I’m going to do it now”

“You’re fucking crazy mate. You won't be the same ever again. Not sure I can look at ya again if you do it mate. You’ll make me chuck me guts out mate. Fuck off will ya. Ya stupid prick”

“Come on mate. You can’t treat me like that. We’ve been through too much together. Look - Fitz is an expert. He’s done this all his professional  life. Nothing will go wrong”

“You stupid bastard. You are going to get fucking royally rogered every which way. Kiss goodbye to ya balls mate. Nice knowin’ ya, ya fat stupid moron”

“What the fuck are you on about Scoof?”

“He’s gonna cut off ya balls!”

“No he’s not. He’s going to stick a finger up my arse. I’m getting a fucking prostate exam you dickhead - I’m not getting castrated!”

“Ohhhh right - just a finger up ya arse is it?”

“Yeah”

“Oh...well what are ya worried about? Just do it ya stinking pussy”

“Guess I will then. See ya dickhead”

“Up yours shithead. See ya tomorrow?”

“Yeah mate”
Hahahahha, good one, Duff!

Bel, I love caves and I understand traveling with tired and irritable children...ugggh. Good writing, you guys! Let me drop my scribble:

I don’t have to reach deep within to feel it. I taste it as copper upon my tongue, right now. It is bitter, yes, and it is redundant.
How long can pain reside before the strength to put out the light is great enough?
Even this question was redundant. Still I asked myself every night.
It was a plague and maybe it was slowly killing me. Good. Maybe I wouldn’t have to ask the question for much longer. No more reminders of why and no more excuses.
No more pictures.
The image came into focus. It was the dark road again, twisted and curved to the right at the far end. It was framed by tangled vines and weeds, creeping across the face of the red dirt. Why was it always this image? But I knew why…
I was still lost.
In this place, this dream, maybe, I could feel my fingers twined together. I could feel my dry lips and eyes squinting to see the road a bit better. I turned and what I wished was there was gone. There was nothing behind me. It was darkness.
I was tired. I was so tired of this repetitive dream and I just wanted it to stop. Every time I closed my eyes, I was looking at the same picture, and then I was running. I ran down the road until I reached the curve, and then fell into reality.
I awoke and ripped the mask from my face. I was suffocating which made no sense. The mask was supposed to help me breathe and yet, I still felt suffocation. I still felt them pulling me from the deep waters and I could still see the dark organic columns before me in the dark.
I don’t have to reach deep within to feel it. It never leaves me. It never goes away.
The dark road is always there
Nice one Spirit. What a torment though. Someone close to me has nightmares every night. What a living hell that would be. A question...the mask...a sleep apnea mask?
Yes, I have severe obstructive apnea and horrible nightmares.
(05-07-2018, 11:00 AM)Duff Moss Wrote: Ok - here's mine

“I don’t know mate...it’s just not something I had ever thought about doing. It just seems so wrong on so many levels. I’ve heard bloody horror stories mate. Things that make my blood curdle. Now I’m a pretty tough dude generally, but this just terrifies me. The idea of it just shakes me to the core. For weeks she has told me that I don’t even have a choice - that this is my goddam lot and I just have to do it, come what may. It’s not bloody fair. I have lost so much sleep. I am barraged by endless demons whispering in my ear. I feel my resolve waning. I am so tired. How can I prevent the apparent inevitable?”

“Ahhh bloke...that sure is shit. Just don’t do it dickhead. Run off or sumtin’. That’s what I’d do”

“Mate - I wish I could. I have too many responsibilities. It has been too many decades since I could call my life my own. My life is an accumulation of the choices I have made, for better or worse, and I can’t now just shed all that to suit my own weakness...and I am weak. I have battled for too long. I can feel the towers of torment raise around me and sitting upon those towers are many eyes - all peering into my soul to make judgement on my lack of resolve. I have made promises to them. Promises that I would take this long dark road to its ultimate gruesome end”

“Ahhh fuck off mate. Just tell ‘em all to go shove it up their arse. Your life shithead. Tell ‘em to shove their ugly mugs up their wart covered arses”

“How can I? It’s just too damn important. What I want doesn’t matter. I’m going to do it. That’s it. I’m going to do it and I’m going to do it now”

“You’re fucking crazy mate. You won't be the same ever again. Not sure I can look at ya again if you do it mate. You’ll make me chuck me guts out mate. Fuck off will ya. Ya stupid prick”

“Come on mate. You can’t treat me like that. We’ve been through too much together. Look - Fitz is an expert. He’s done this all his professional  life. Nothing will go wrong”

“You stupid bastard. You are going to get fucking royally rogered every which way. Kiss goodbye to ya balls mate. Nice knowin’ ya, ya fat stupid moron”

“What the fuck are you on about Scoof?”

“He’s gonna cut off ya balls!”

“No he’s not. He’s going to stick a finger up my arse. I’m getting a fucking prostate exam you dickhead - I’m not getting castrated!”

“Ohhhh right - just a finger up ya arse is it?”

“Yeah”

“Oh...well what are ya worried about? Just do it ya stinking pussy”

“Guess I will then. See ya dickhead”

“Up yours shithead. See ya tomorrow?”

“Yeah mate”
At least you Are still on speaking terms with yourself Big Grin

(05-07-2018, 02:48 PM)Spirit Wrote: Hahahahha, good one, Duff!

Bel, I love caves and I understand traveling with tired and irritable children...ugggh. Good writing, you guys! Let me drop my scribble:

I don’t have to reach deep within to feel it. I taste it as copper upon my tongue, right now. It is bitter, yes, and it is redundant.
How long can pain reside before the strength to put out the light is great enough?
Even this question was redundant. Still I asked myself every night.
It was a plague and maybe it was slowly killing me. Good. Maybe I wouldn’t have to ask the question for much longer. No more reminders of why and no more excuses.
No more pictures.
The image came into focus. It was the dark road again, twisted and curved to the right at the far end. It was framed by tangled vines and weeds, creeping across the face of the red dirt. Why was it always this image? But I knew why…
I was still lost.
In this place, this dream, maybe, I could feel my fingers twined together. I could feel my dry lips and eyes squinting to see the road a bit better. I turned and what I wished was there was gone. There was nothing behind me. It was darkness.
I was tired. I was so tired of this repetitive dream and I just wanted it to stop. Every time I closed my eyes, I was looking at the same picture, and then I was running. I ran down the road until I reached the curve, and then fell into reality.
I awoke and ripped the mask from my face. I was suffocating which made no sense. The mask was supposed to help me breathe and yet, I still felt suffocation. I still felt them pulling me from the deep waters and I could still see the dark organic columns before me in the dark.
I don’t have to reach deep within to feel it. It never leaves me. It never goes away.
The dark road is always there
Nightmares are terrible especially when they 'haunt' you all day. Excellent writing, Spirit.
I am glad to read the stories of all participants here and here going to share mine story with all of you.

A few days ago, I was coming back from my uncle's house. I was alone and driving my car and it was the late night. I was driving on the dark road alone and was fully tired as well because I played different games with kids all day. I was feeling so tired and strange as well because I was disabled to derive my car more due to tiredness but the dark road was insisting me to drive fastly and reach at my destination soon as possible. Suddenly, I saw a light. A person was sitting on the roadside and turned the light on of the Mobile Phone. I got frightened to see the man because I was alone and it was a midnight. When I came near the man, then I saw that he is injured and having a bleeding from his foot. There was no one on the dark road except me and I stopped my car and shifted the old man into my car to help him out. I forgot my tiredness to see the condition of old man. Then I admitted that person to the hospital and came back to my house after giving him proper treatment. That was such an interesting and unforgettable driving experience for me but I felt happy to help that old man on the dark road while being so tired as well. I never lost the hope. It became a memorable incident of my life.