Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing Challenge - Round 1
Ok you magnificent peeps. Time to get this show on the road.

Now when we did this before we had a very high level rule for word selection: two nouns, unrelated, but one could have an adjective.  It was only a guideline at best, so I think we just make it two unrelated words, where one word can have a modifier with it.

The simple motive being to use those words to spark a creative piece of writing of any style you choose.  For me personally I got two things out of these challenges, being

1. I got a kick out of creating something from such a simple prompt. I enjoyed seeing where my mind would take it.

2. I found it amazing to read the varied responses to the same initial conditions. It reminded me of how varied we all are and how our situations and life experience will take us all to completely different destinations even though we started at the same place.

So enough of my babbling. Each fortnight the words will be chosen. Everyone has a week to write something and I will create a results thread (Writing Challenge - Round X: Results), and everyone posts their entry. We’ll do new words every fortnight.

This week I’ll choose the words, but will ask others for future rounds. My parents had their 50th wedding anniversary this last weekend, so in honour of that I am choosing golden as the first word. This forum is rising like the phoenix from the ashes of Triond, so I’m choosing ash as the second word.

So the words for round 1 are, ASH and GOLDEN.
like the sound of the words, DUff.
Nice! These ones are nice.

I'll get to work straight away, boss.
Thanks boss... I reckon I should get ta writin'. Gonna be supper time soon and I'z gonna be tuckered out.
Okkie cookie, boss?
So, I'm going to be really busy this week because of a family emergency, so I'm going to try something out. I might really fuck it up, but it's super-short story-telling. Some people can do it really well. Others can't. I'm probably the latter. This is inspired by a family member's experience. My apologies to that person if I destroy it. Here goes.

I thought I'd felt the full extent of a mother's pain the day I held your tiny purple body in the hospital, alone but for the lifeless shell you left behind. Today, as then, I am alone. I've gone to where the mountains meet the sea. My favorite place. A place I dreamed of bringing you. Instead, I have this nightmare in the palm of hand. Ashes clenched in my fist slip out with the wind between my fingers. Holding my hand high in front of my face, I open the steel grip I wish I could have kept on your life, freeing your remains to float on the wind, illuminated in the golden hues of a heartbreaking sunrise.

The End

I've posted that here for posterity. I will do my best to remember to post it in the results thread. Sorry it wasn't as happy as your inspiration for the words, Duffster. It's just what came to me.
(04-17-2018, 10:36 PM)Shelob Wrote: So, I'm going to be really busy this week because of a family emergency, so I'm going to try something out. I might really fuck it up, but it's super-short story-telling. Some people can do it really well. Others can't. I'm probably the latter. This is inspired by a family member's experience. My apologies to that person if I destroy it. Here goes.

I thought I'd felt the full extent of a mother's pain the day I held your tiny purple body in the hospital, alone but for the lifeless shell you left behind. Today, as then, I am alone. I've gone to where the mountains meet the sea. My favorite place. A place I dreamed of bringing you. Instead, I have this nightmare in the palm of hand. Ashes clenched in my fist slip out with the wind between my fingers. Holding my hand high in front of my face, I open the steel grip I wish I could have kept on your life, freeing your remains to float on the wind, illuminated in the golden hues of a heartbreaking sunrise.

The End

I've posted that here for posterity. I will do my best to remember to post it in the results thread. Sorry it wasn't as happy as your inspiration for the words, Duffster. It's just what came to me.
It's beautiful, touching and your talent for using so few words to get so much across is inspiring. Smile
Thank you.
(04-17-2018, 10:36 PM)Shelob Wrote: So, I'm going to be really busy this week because of a family emergency, so I'm going to try something out. I might really fuck it up, but it's super-short story-telling. Some people can do it really well. Others can't. I'm probably the latter. This is inspired by a family member's experience. My apologies to that person if I destroy it. Here goes.

The End

Holy crap - that's heartbreaking.
Sorry. lol